Why must we always play fair? Sometimes you want to overtake, maybe even eliminate, the competition. Life is a battle, and someone has to win, so it may as well be you. Rivalry can push us to discover our potential, or it can steer us down some destructive paths. Recipe for these financiers below! I like them plain, but maybe you like them jazzed up. Care to be rivals? Let’s bake!!
Eat Your Emotions: Rivalry - FinanciersPrint This
- 225 g (2 sticks or 16 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- 8 egg whites
- 290 g (2.5 cups ) powdered sugar
- 100 g (3/4 cup + 1 scant Tbsp) all purpose flour
- 100 g (1 cup) almond flour
tips for success:
- make the batter one day before baking. resting it overnight is best.
- use a stainless steel pot or an enameled pot that is light colored. this will help you see the butter brown
- sift all the dry ingredients together.
- you can use a cupcake pan, or pretty individual shaped molds.
- brown the butter. in a small stainless steel pot, melt the butter on medium heat and bring to a simmer. the water will cook off and then the milk solids will start to brown. it may foam and splatter, so it is good to have a pot with high sides. stir with a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon. you will see little brown flecks appear and it will start to smell fragrant and nutty. transfer to a bowl to stop the cooking process. set aside to cool
- whisk the egg whites. just until frothy and the color is more white than yellow
- add dry ingredients. all the dry ingredients should be sifted together. you can add it in all at once. whisk it in until completely combined.
- pour in butter. while whisking, slowly stream in the butter.
- rest batter. cover the batter with plastic wrap, making sure the film is touching the surface of the batter. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- butter your molds.
- preheat oven to 400 F
- fill molds (about halfway in a cupcake pan, or closer to the rim in smaller molds) and bake in oven about 12 minutes. they will be golden on the edges and dry on the tops.
- cool for 15 minutes then remove from molds. cool completely on wire racks.
- optional: dust with powdered sugar and decorate with cream and slivered almonds.