We can all smell fear. In a crowd, it can waft over us and ignite a stampede. Once panic catches fire, it is hard to contain. It spreads over the news, causing us to stock up on water and bread, or it causes the stock market to plummet. Irrational reactions can be triggered or caused. Sometimes it is just you, standing and gasping, as your body flees from unknown terrors.
Eat Your Emotions: Panic - Chocolate Pudding ParfaitPrint This
- 500g (2 cups) milk
- 75g (1/3 cup) sugar
- 100g or 5 egg yolks
- 30g (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 75g (1/2 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 450g (2 cups) heavy cream
- 40g (1/4 cup) powdered sugar
- Crushed cookies of your choice
Tips for success:
- Lay out your work space before you start cooking.
- You need a pot, a whisk, a sieve, a spatula, and bowl.
- Place your chocolate chips in the bowl, and the sieve over it. Set aside.
- Heat the milk in a pot on medium heat. While it heats,
- Whisk together vigorously the sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks.
- Pour half of scalded milk over egg mixture while whisking.
- Pour egg mixture into pot with rest of milk. Return to stove.
- Keep whisking while on med/high heat. Don’t stop! It will thicken. Once it boils, keep whisking for another two minutes. This cooks out any starchiness.
- Pour pudding into the sieve, using the spatula the move it through, over the chocolate chips. This removes any eggy bits that coagulated. Use spatula to get all the custard off the bottom of the sieve
- Whisk the custard into the chocolate until smooth.
- Cover with plastic film, making sure it touches the surface of the custard.
- Chill the custard for at least 6 hours.
- Whip the heavy cream with the powdered sugar until soft and airy. Don’t over do it. Keep it smooth.
- Whisk the now chilled chocolate custard. It should be quite thick and congealed. Whisk and break it up until smooth again.
- Fold In half of the whipped cream.
- Build Your Layers alternating between chocolate pudding, crushed cookies, and whipped cream, using any bowl or cups you like.