is a sweet quiver, straight through your body which simultaneously takes you out of your body. A transcendence. A carnal experience that can be quite spiritual. Whether attained through song, sex, drugs, dance, or prayer…it is intense. A blazing moment when you know what it is to be ALIVE. Such fleeting joy. We spend our life weathering the ups and downs of anguish and ecstasy. What do you think? Can ecstasy exist without anguish?
Recipe for the poundcake below!
Eat Your Emotions: Ecstasy - Pound CakePrint This
- 4 eggs, separated
- 200g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- zest of one lemon
- 200g butter, melted, cooled to warm
- 200g All Purpose Flour, sifted
tips for success:
- This is a french 4/4 cake (Quatre-Quart). Equal weights of eggs/sugar/butter/flour. The magic is in the mixing method!
- Eggs should be at room temperature before starting.
- Using a stand mixer is helpful
- Serve with whipped cream and berries, or with caramel and ice cream. Enjoy your ecstasy as you wish!
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Prepare your cake pan. I used a tube pan for the photo above, but it 9×5 loaf is standard. Butter and flour it.
- Whisk your egg whites in the bowl of your mixer, or use an electric beater. You want this to be whisked to almost firm peaks. If using your stand mixer, transfer your whites to a new bowl.
- Beat with paddle attachment the: sugar, yolks, salt, and zest together in the bowl of the stand mixer. You want it to be pale yellow and homogenous.
- Stream in melted butter and continue mixing until incorporated and smooth.
- Add the flour until just combined.
- Fold in the whipped whites.
- Pour into baking mold.
- Bake about 50-60 minutes.