That feeling you get when you turn down your street, and you are relieved to know where you are going. That tree is in the right spot. This pothole is exactly where it is supposed to be. It is where the pie is. It is the apple of your eye. It is HOME. The place that reminds you of who you are, and lets you be that person, unapologetically. You belong there.
Eat Your Emotions: Homefulness - Apple TartPrint This
- 4 medium sized apples, peeled and cored, cut into halves
- Your favorite pie crust recipe, or store bought frozen pie crust.
- Your favorite apple jelly.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten thoroughly to use as eggwash.
- Turbinado sugar for finishing.
- Any flavors you would like to use to infuse your simple syrup.
- Using Earl Grey tea, an orange rind, various herbs, or a vanilla bean would work great!
Tips for success:
- This is a super easy and simple way to enjoy apples!
- Use firm apples that are good for baking. I love using HoneyCrisp, or Pink Ladies.
- Line a sheet pan with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Prepare your simple syrup. In a pot, combine your sugar and your water. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add in any of your flavorings. Cover and let it cool to room temperature. Strain. It is now ready to use, or store it covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Slice your halved-apples into thin slices lengthwise, keeping the shape of the half apple intact.
- Cut your dough into rounds that match the shape of your apples. You can cut out stems and leaves if you wish.
- Place each dough round on your prepared sheet pan.
- Spread Apple Jelly in the center of each round, going only as wide as your apples. Keep edges of dough round clear. About 1 tsp of jelly per round, but more if apples are large.
- Place one sliced half-apple over each round of dough. Put your stems and leaves in place.
- Eggwash the edges of the rounds and any stems and leaves. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Brush simple syrup generously over the apples, letting it sink into the slices.
- Chill at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Brush simple syrup over the apples again.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until edges are nicely browned.
- Serve warm with ice cream!